27 and a PhD

Home » Me » No, I have not abandoned the blog

No, I have not abandoned the blog

Welcome to my blog!

Hello there, awesome reader. My name is Dr. 27. I'm older than that now, but I'm staying faithful to the origins of the blog.

This blog started 2 months before completing my PhD in a pretty southern university back in 2009. It was a way to practice my writing and take a break from all things thesis. My PhD is in a branch of structural biology where I studied some rather impressive stuff.

After completing the degree, I packed my life of 6 years in 3 days and moved to Canada to do a postdoc in a completely different field. Two years later, and after attending a lot of seminars, workshops and doing some much-needed soul-searching, I ended up getting out and looking for an alternative path to academia and industry.

The blog chronicles my mishaps, ideas, musings and tips on entering, staying and finishing grad school. It also talks about some (or a lot) of personal stuff. For a while, the blog became a place to talk about the frustrations of not knowing what to do after PhD. I wanted to explore alternatives to the traditional paths of research (academia, industry and goverment) whilst going back to my field of training (if at all possible). Eventually a job materialized. Follow my quest as I navigate the waters of being a staff scientist at a core facility.


March 2014
« Jan   Apr »

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 2,566 other followers

Follow me

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.


Wow, it’s been forever since I last posted here. I never thought I’d abandon the blog, but with the wedding and honeymoon behind me, I finally have time to sort of get back to tweeting and blogging (however sparsely I do both).

The wedding was amazing. Honey looked extremely handsome. My mom worked her tail off to correct a few problems with my dress (mainly, my boobs didn’t fit in the thing), my sister had her stylist do our hair and make up, and I wore uncomfortable but pretty shoes which I promptly ditched after our first dance). We didn’t have a very traditional wedding. The priest did a sanation, which means that our civil marriage was “elevated” in the eyes of the church, to a church one. We got a handy little diploma at the end of the mass/wedding and got to keep our marriage licence from NY State (woohoo!). My sister got late to the ceremony (the stylist took a long ass time with my hair), but she did get there, and my little nephew went down the isle with a cousin and behaved extremely well. Hon’s cousins’ kids walked down the isle throwing rose petals. It was awesome. Both of my parents walked me down the isle, and hon’s mom walked him (we had everyone walk down the isle, kids, two best men, my parents) and my FIL played Canon in D on his guitar. Tons of pictures were taken and eventually we made it to the reception.

At the reception we didn’t throw my bouquet, or did the garter thing. We didn’t do the traditional father-daughter dance (my dad doesn’t know how to dance and our relationship is not THAT amazing, I mean, we talk to each other, but the dance has never held any particular significance in my eyes). We had a DJ, but served food individually to our guests and the people at the reception hall were amazing, always asking if we needed anything, they got me beer, wine and even changed my plate since we served chicken and steak and well … if you know me, you know I’m not a steak person. We danced, with each other and with our guests and when the best men delivered their speeches, one of them mentioned that we wanted our reception to be a family feast, so everyone should eat, dance and spend time as they would in their own house.

Our reception ended early, as the hall was about 1hr away from our hometown and we had some old fellas there. We had lanterns, delicious cake which my sister arranged for and lots of laughter.

I do remember feeling overwhelmed by the dress. By the sheer weight of it. And since it didn’t have any pick up anywhere, I ended up carrying the tiny (but heavy) train all night. The next day my arm was sore.

We went to a hotel after and I begged honey to help me get out of the dress because I felt like I was going to die feeling all sticky and sweaty (I hate feeling like that). After getting out of all the compression garments which held the dress in its proper place, I washed my face like 5 times.

We were spent. Luckily there was a boxing match with helped keep us awake while we manage to sort through our overnight bags and some of the gifts we got. But we almost didn’t make it awake until the end of the fight.

We were asleep like pet rocks before midnight (definitely we don’t have the energy two 22 year olds would have). The next day we drove to the airport to catch a flight to the Caribbean and spend some wonderful time near the beach and near a historical part of South America. It was our first time there and it was awesome. And like I said on Twitter, avoid flying in an American airliner to SA. Fly Copa or any of the other airlines (Avianca, Condor). They way the treat you is amazing. On a total of 3.5 hrs of flying we were given lunch AND a snack, plus whatever alcoholic drinks we wanted. I foolishly asked the flight attendant how much a glass of wine cost and he kindly responded that they weren’t the type of airline that charged customers for their drinks, regardless how much alcohol they had (or lacked).

I hope to share later how my year end review went. And of course, a bit of how year 2 as a lab manager is going. I really like my job, even when there are tough times and tough decisions to make regarding science and equipment. We’ll see how things go. Hon is also doing much, MUCH better and both the wedding and honeymoon went well for him. Lots of stress but he handled it like a champ. I’m very proud of my husband.



  1. Congrats on your wedding! It sounds like you had a perfect day!!

  2. moncochon says:

    Congratulations! I’m so happy for you.

  3. Carolina (@braziliancakes) says:

    Congrats! It sounds absolutely lovely. 🙂

  4. […] cake. We should be husband and wife for the second time in less than 2 months! As mentioned in the previous post, this was accomplished. We hit a few snags (like my  mom finishing fixing the zipper on my dress […]

What's your take?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: