I wrote this back in 2009, when I first did the end of the year meme. Let’s see how 2013 went.
An end of the year analysis… in meme form.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
I got married and switched jobs two weeks apart.
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I’ll have to look at my list, but I do think I accomplished certain things.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not that I can remember.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My college BFF lost her battle with cancer in May. Fuck cancer.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just the US.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
A significant raise. I’ve worked my tail off this year.
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory?
Mid February when hon and I got married and May 21st, when my college BFF died.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting married and moving in two weeks without losing my mind, or my new husband.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not calling my BFF before she died and telling her, one more time, how much she meant to me.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A red table that makes me feel all grown up.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Hon’s of course, for being always supportive and understanding, and celebrating every little victory, especially during the move. My mom and my nephew for bringing so much joy into my life.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Republicans and Tea Party idiots.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Moving and moving related expenses, and wedding prep stuff. We’re getting married in the church in 2014.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our wedding and the new job.
16. What song/album will always remind you of 2013?
I don’t listen to the radio, other than NPR.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
1. Happier or sadder? A bit of both.
2. Thinner or fatter? Fat, fatty fat.
3. Richer or poorer? Better than last year, but I still have about 3.5 more years of debt to pay.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Being more supportive of my husband and eating better.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Work. My God, I worked a fucktillion.
20. How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
Going home to see my parents, nephew and hubby.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Hon, mom and vendors.
22. Did you fall in love in 2013?
More and more with the same adorable guy. And my nephew. He’s cute.
23. How many one night stands in this last year?
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Anything from Investigation Discovery and Snapped.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book(s) you read?
A couple of books about Mormon fundamentalist groups. Always an interesting read. Oh, and finally got a hold of ‘We need to talk about Kevin.’
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
New album from Macaco, Se que no te va a gustar and Lisandro Aristimuño. Check them out if you like music in Español.
28. What did you want and get?
A new job, with benefits, a big apartment and an iPad.
29. What did you want and not get?
More money, less debt. A job for honey.
30. What were your favourite films of this year?
The one about magic stuff with Mark Ruffalo.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Turned 32, spent the day with hon, ate at a restaurant we love.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Hon having a satisfying job, even if it was part time.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Frumpy scientist, with the occasional sprinkle of something new and decent when outside of the lab.
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Marriage equality, budget issues, women’s rights, the Sciquester.
37. Who did you miss?
My cute little nephew.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Couple of very interesting scientists I admire.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Keep on going even when life throws you big piles of shit.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
I can never come up with one.