I love doing memes …. just because I enjoy reading them years later to see how things were in the previous years, and what and how things have changed since. Without further delay, here’s my 2009 meme:
An end of the year analysis… in meme form.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Moved out of my “home” away from home for 6 years and into a different country and culture.
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I’m not a huge Resolution person. But I did moved out of the States, into Canada and finished my degree. I also got to learn new methods for doing research (new to me anyways) and moved in with the boyfriend for the second time in my life (well, previously he was the one to move in with me).
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Mmmmm, not that I remember now. My sis did get preggo.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Mmmmm, not so sure, I don’t think so.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Mmmm, less debt, less weight and more peace family-wise. A better understanding of my research project and expectations from the boss and a happier attitude towards life.
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory?
July X, 2009 …. the day I finished my PhD.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing the PhD.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not paying off my debt sooner and not meeting as much with the new boss as I should have. Oh, and not taking the phone to place a call to a certain postdoc from hell who behaved like an idiot and a selfish bastard with the last paper stemming from my thesis.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A stupid flu that I thought was the H1N1.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Mmmmm, health insurance in Canada …. and my yellow purse?
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My mom and my BF’s prior to my defense …. too much undeserved patience. Oh and my upstairs neighbour from the States who bought like 130$ in furniture.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Stupid postdoc from hell.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Moving …. and moving related expenses, and starting up in Canada.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
New job, moving and my Xmas gifts. Oh and my new shows and my 89$ Parka from Joe …. Joe I love YOU!
16. What song/album will always remind you of 2009?
A few oldies. I cut cable off at the beginning of the year to save some $ for the move and tuned off VH1 and MTV. I occasionally liked a song or two from watching The Hills.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
1. Happier or sadder? Happier since I don’t have a thesis to worry about.
2. Thinner or fatter? A few people at home have said that I look thinner than last year. I do not believe them, but maybe I am.
3. Richer or poorer? Debt-wise about the same, but my car is paid off and I’m not getting slammed with thousands of $ “health insurance” and “activity and recreation fees” from school … really, do grad students have to pay for a gym while they don’t have the time or energy to lift a finger?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Traveling and photography. Oh, and sleeping.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Complaining and not sleeping.
20. How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
At home with my family, juggling between attending church with my mom, helping my sis move out of my parent’s house, and spending a few short hours with the BF.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
The BF texting, an my mom on Skype.
22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
More and more with the same adorable guy.
23. How many one night stands in this last year?
None; though it would have been interesting to have one or two with the BF, hehe.
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
OMG, Little Mosque on the Prairie and The City.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I dislike a lot of people, but hate is kinda strong.
26. What was the best book(s) you read?
Baking Cakes in Kigali
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Vedera .. from The Hills
28. What did you want and get?
A completed thesis and defense, a first author paper, a successful move and more vacay time.
29. What did you want and not get?
Even more money, tons of undies, more cool music and better spending habits.
30. What were your favourite films of this year?
Mmmm, a few, mostly indie ones. I can’t remember all their names.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 25 + 3, I think I spent it alone since the BF and my mum were traveling to see me a few days later.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Finishing earlier and getting that darn postdoctoral fellowship, also getting the first author place on MY second thesis aim paper.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Sadly none. There are styles I like but probably can’t pull off and I’m afraid of being too out of the box, so I stay with jeans, snickers and a basic tee.
34. What kept you sane?
The BF and my mum.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Mmmm, trying to think … Penelope Cruz … probably.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Healthcare bill in the US and same-sex marriage, both of which should pass because the government shouldn’t intrude in people’s bedrooms and conservatives should shut up, and a supposedly “big” country should have a universal, affordable way of caring for their sick.
37. Who did you miss?
A few southern eateries and the family.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Lab tech, insanely knowledgeable and talented … and patient.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
It’s OK to think outside of the box, and to talk things over before making a huge fuss about a misunderstanding.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
Not a clue. I’m too tired to remember.