27 and a PhD

Home » Grad school » Being nice to the coworkers (trying anyways)

Being nice to the coworkers (trying anyways)

Welcome to my blog!

Hello there, awesome reader. My name is Dr. 27. I'm older than that now, but I'm staying faithful to the origins of the blog.

This blog started 2 months before completing my PhD in a pretty southern university back in 2009. It was a way to practice my writing and take a break from all things thesis. My PhD is in a branch of structural biology where I studied some rather impressive stuff.

After completing the degree, I packed my life of 6 years in 3 days and moved to Canada to do a postdoc in a completely different field. Two years later, and after attending a lot of seminars, workshops and doing some much-needed soul-searching, I ended up getting out and looking for an alternative path to academia and industry.

The blog chronicles my mishaps, ideas, musings and tips on entering, staying and finishing grad school. It also talks about some (or a lot) of personal stuff. For a while, the blog became a place to talk about the frustrations of not knowing what to do after PhD. I wanted to explore alternatives to the traditional paths of research (academia, industry and goverment) whilst going back to my field of training (if at all possible). Eventually a job materialized. Follow my quest as I navigate the waters of being a staff scientist at a core facility.


December 2009
« Nov   Jan »

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 2,566 other followers

Follow me

I love this time of the year. I really do. For whatever reason twinkling lights, hot cocoa and warm clothes make me smile. But co-workers … sometimes they get on my nerves.

I’ve counted .. there are (at least) 15 people in our lab. There is equipment open for a few of them at any given point, but there aren’t enough of two important things for pretty much any biomedical lab … micropipettes and gel apparatuses (and gel combs and plates). This was especially evident this week. I was purifying yet another batch of protein when I found myself short of the 2 things mentioned above. One of my co-workers, who is a nice guy, but can get on people’s nerves, was making a batch of at least 8 gels. He and an undergrad assistant he has run gazillions of experiments every single week. This is not bad, given that the guy has spent at least 5 years in school and has no papers or conclusive evidence pointing to a way out of the chaos. Some new experiments he is running are working now so he and his assistant are in turn purifying tons of proteins and making a gazillion gels to view their results. Nothing wrong with this picture so far … except that as I stated before there are at least 15 people in our lab, and at any given point 14 of them are running experiments that require the use of some of the same equipment he’s using.

I try to be understanding. I try to be good, not get on his way. But two things almost sent me off to the psych ward this week. First, he and his assistant needed to run 8 gels in 2 days. Nothing wrong with that other than we are 2-3 weeks away from finishing the semester, undergrads and grad students (and all of the postdocs, including me) in the lab are trying to run as many experiments as possible, as fast as we can so we can go on and take time off without feeling guilty. Now, all those other 12 people (excluded are the boss, said co-worker and the assistant) need to run similar experiments, or at least run gels. Another post doc, noting that said grad student was making all the gels he could, asked is he could pour him one or two for later use this week, since the grad student would be taking all the materials available to pour gels. I tried to ask him for one, to no avail. He said something akin to “sorry, but y’all have to wait till I feel like it.” Luckily my purified protein could wait for a few days at the fridge while some materials became free. Since I’m trying to purify one protein per week and the purification I’m currently running is fast, and the protein is mostly stable I had no trouble. But image what would have happened had this been the last experiment separating me from my defense. I would have gone ballistic. The second thing that set me off is that not only this guy, but pretty much everyone else who was running experiments had taken all the available pipettes and were not returning them to the designated area where we keep them. I go and “steal” one from another co-worker, then said grad student wants to take it from me although he had one already. I caught him, said “dude, you get to use it when I’m done, which will be soon, but I already took it from someone else and will finish with it soon, so wait.” He complained that he needed it, and another postdoc came to the rescue. I was a bit mortified by the lack of respect. I had just taken the stupid pipettor, why couldn’t he just wait? Anyways, things were sorted out eventually.

I have no trouble waiting while something in the lab becomes available. But for a few weeks now I’ve noticed that said student takes as much time and space and resources to make sure his experiments are running while everybody else has to wait or shift things around. Now, I’m fairly new still, and I’m still learning my way around things, but it irritates me when I have to wait many hours, or even days to have to run a stupid gel. Something that in ~3 hours could be done and over with. What irritates me the most is that we have sign up sheets for most everything else, but not for gels, or related equipment or materials. I’ve been toying with the idea of asking the lab manager to get one, or for us to discuss having a limit on how many gels a person can pour per day when it’s crunch time and everybody else has to wait while one person runs 6 gels … really, the same person has been using at least 3 distinct gel apparatuses. It’s not fun. The worst part is that because this massive back up is formed by having several of us waiting to run a gel, it goes haywire when the gel materials become suddenly available. You should have seen how many gels were at various stages of staining or de-staining last Friday. It was monumental.

I guess I needed to vent. It’s also that a) I’m not used to juggle so much to get my experiments done, b) previously, in my old lab there weren’t that many people, thus the wait times where not huge, and c) I had PMS … so imagine what a week that was.

This week I’ll try to stay calm. I’ll try to voice my concern(s) in a respectful manner if the ocassion arises, but mostly, I’ll try to stay leveled and be thankful for having a job. I figure that there will be times when even your favorite person on the planet will get on your nerves, but anything you say or do to “spoil” their experiments will backfire, so better stay calm, breathe and let things flow, and only vent in the privacy of your house, because you never know how a meltdown might hurt you. Till next time, happy research!

What's your take?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: